Lingfield Park redevelopment
Surrey, United Kingdom
The Lingfield Park redevelopment involved the regeneration of the operational core of the racecourse. The outmoded buildings were replaced with an integrated leisure building, incorporating a 120-bedroom four star Marriott hotel, replacement viewing terraces and boxes, a golf clubhouse, and a leisure club.
The redevelopment also included the upgrading of racecourse facilities, including replacement grooms' accommodation, stables, veterinary facilities, trainers' parking, pedestrian entrance building, shared car parking and off-site highway works. The existing leisure club, to the north of the main complex, was converted into 25 new homes (including eight affordable homes).
Cundall was commissioned on a full multi-disciplinary basis to undertake the design consultancy. Some of the key Cundall initiatives were:
- design of systems to accommodate the mixed uses within the same building
- design of renewable energy sources to provide 18% of the development's energy requirements – including biomass and a wind turbine on site
- development of the phasing of the project to accommodate 95 days of racing per year and the design of systems to ensure that the public and construction activities are separate at all times
- use of innovative solutions for fire suppression and service provision to minimise plant space take
- development of a fire strategy with Marriott Hotels' fire chiefs to achieve a UK standard solution which met the Marriott brand standard aspirations at a lower cost
- development of in-room telecommunications connectivity solutions for guests in a plug-and-play format, integrated into the furniture
- development of prefabricated solutions to assist in project programme, including bathroom pods and service risers
Light4 designed the external, reception, bar, restaurant, gym and spa lighting for the new hotel on the Lingfield Park Racecourse site. The external lighting is low key to keep in with the parkland setting, maintain a village feel and minimise light pollution in an otherwise dark natural environment.
For the restaurant the brief was for a contemporary look using traditional materials. To meet this brief Light4 designed a new circular light fitting using wrought iron and copper. The design was two thin rings, one inside the other, with LED’s concealed within the inner ring element. The fitting is now available as a standard product from Optelma UK and is called the Lingfield. The LED light source provides a crisp white light for breakfast and a warm white light for the evening.
The light control system brings together all of the lighting throughout the key public spaces and adjusts the mood of the lighting to suit the time of the day and the function of each space.
Project name Lingfield Park redevelopment
Location Lingfield, United Kingdom
Services Building services, fire engineering, data communications and light4
Client Arena Leisure plc (Lingfield)
Architect EPR Architects, Stephen Langer Associates
Project Director/Partner Tomás Neeson
Photography © Construct Media
+44 (0)191 213 1515